According to the 2018 State of the (Red Meat) Industry Report, Australia holds only six percent of the world’s sheep flock, but we are the leading exporter of sheep meat.
Independent Chair of the Red Meat Advisory Council, Don Mackay said; “We were also the third largest exporter of beef in 2017 behind Brazil and India and the world’s leading exporter of goatmeat in 2016. We also exported 867,056 live cattle, 1.9 million live sheep and 12,245 goats. This represents around $13.3 billion in export earnings.”
The Report was prepared by Meat and Livestock Australia.
Other interesting statistics from the Report include;
- 438,100 Australians employed directly and indirectly
- 4 percent of the employment for the country
- 90 per cent of these jobs are regionally and rurally based
- 82,500 businesses are supported by the industry
- $65 billion in turnover
- In 2016-17 the red meat industry was valued at $65 billion
- Australians eat three times more beef and five times more sheep meat than the global average
To read the full report – http://rmac.com.au/policy-leadership/state-industry-2018/