Are you working or would like to work in the Health industry which handles food?
If the answer is ‘Yes’, then this Food Handlers Certificate Course is for you. You will develop skills and increase employment opportunities with our on-line ‘Food Handlers Certificate’ course.
Every year in Australia many people get ill, and some even die from food poisoning. Imagine if something you did (perhaps quite innocently) contributed to another person’s illness? This Food Handlers Certificate Course will equip you with the knowledge and skills to ensure this never happens.
You will learn how to apply good hygiene practices within a wide range of service industry operations. You will also learn how to follow predetermined procedures, including identifying and controlling various hazards in the workplace – so as to ensure that yourself, customers and work colleagues are not exposed to preventable health risks.
For Self-employed Business Owners
If you are the owner of a business handling food, you will no doubt require your staff to have a good understanding of food safety and hygiene practices in your workplace. Our Food Handlers Certificate course is the easiest way to ensure your staff are equipped with the skills and knowledge to ensure your business is protected from preventable health risks.
If you require a Food Safety Supervisor in your business please refer to our Food Safety Supervisor courses.
For Companies & Organisation Managers
We understand that managing food businesses, with multiple staff, operating for extended hours and across jurisdictions, can be complicated. Food safety competencies delivered and assessed by Food Safety Australia may be purchased centrally and assist you to ensure that your staff are equipped with the skills and knowledge to protect your business from preventable health risks. Our shopping cart allows you to purchase multiple courses in one easy transaction.
State and Industry Requirements
As a matter of public health safety, state, territory and local authorities are responsible for ensuring food businesses are compliant with all food hygiene requirements in Australia. Food Safety Australia have been offering courses to meet your compliance evidence requirements for more than 12 years. In the footer of our website pages, you will find Useful Links to all Australian state, territory and local authority Health Department websites so you can determine what rules apply to you in your area.
If you currently hold a Food Safety Supervisor Certificate issued by Food Safety Australia, you are already covered for these units and do not need to complete this course.
Each module of this course will help you to achieve one of the required elements of competence.
You will be provided with a series of presentations and quizzes. Make sure you are completely comfortable with the presentation content before attempting the quiz, you may view them as many times as you feel necessary. You are required to achieve a grade of 100% for each of the four quizzes in this course and you are allowed up to three attempts for each quiz.
As well as completing the on-line quizzes satisfactorily, you will also complete and return a Workplace Observation. It is a requirement that you are able to demonstrate the application of the skills you have gained from the on-line course in a practical way in a commercial kitchen.
It is required that you have access to a food workplace (either as an employee or a volunteer). This food workplace should:
- Be an operational commercial food preparation area, bar or kitchen with the fixtures, large and small equipment and workplace documentation defined in the Assessment ; can be a real industry workplace simulated industry environment such as a training kitchen servicing customers
- Have real food ingredients and food items
- Be fully equipped for food preparation (eg. a commercial kitchen, catering production line or food preparation area of a food outlet)
The Workplace Observation can be made by anyone you are working alongside providing they are in the position to make valid observations of your performance. The observer should meet the following requirements:
1. Have 2 years or more experience in a food handling environment in a supervisory role AND either
a) A current Australian Food Safety certificate (eg. Food Handlers Certificate or Food Safety Supervisor)
b) A qualification that meets the requirements of Food Handling safety (eg. Commercial Cookery or hospitality qualification or relevant higher education qualification
2. Be prepared to observe your activity in the workplace
3. Be prepared to be contacted by a Food Safety Australia assessor to confirm the Observer information provided.
If you are not currently working within the industry and do not have immediate access to an operational commercial kitchen, here are a few options:
- If you have worked in the food industry before, then you can have a past manager or co-worker complete the form based on past observations (no more than 12 months ago)
- If you have a friend or family member employed in the food industry, they can also make observations
- You can also speak to your local council and ask for a list of food-based charities that you can volunteer for. Many of these organisations deal with food and many of the regular volunteers are able to sign off on your observation report