Based on the number of cases and deaths, the following are the top ten food poisoning outbreaks in the USA for 2015, interestingly six of them involved some type of Salmonella.
10. 52 sick from six E.coli outbreaks at the Chipotle chain of restaurants.
9. 65 sick from two Salmonella species in Sushi from raw tuna from Indonesia.
8. 70 sick from Salmonella in pork carnitas during the Mother’s Day weekend.
7. 86 sick (including dozens of children) from Staphylococcus aureus at two child care centres.
6. 192 sick (including 30 hospitalised) from two Salmonella species in pork in five states.
5. 194 sick from Shigella linked to the Mariscos San Juan restaurant
4. 280 sick (and one death) from a species of Salmonella at a BBQ restaurant in North Carolina
3. 290 sick from Salmonella in raw turkey, tomatoes and onion sold at a Co-op deli
2. 546 sick from Cyclospora across 31 states, found in Mexican grown Cilantro
1. 838 sick (including 165 hospitalisations and four deaths) from a Salmonella species in 38 states – suspected food was cucumbers
Australia did not have a really big food poisoning in the second half of 2015, but Brisbane sure had it’s fair share in the first couple of months of the year. More than 400 people were sick from Salmonella species in four outbreaks, including two at a Convention Centre and then there was the sushi made by KB Heaven Sushi (which is no longer operating).