The following is a media release from the Food Recall Team at Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ) and is included here with it’s permission.You can sign up to get notices of recalls and other related information by emailing email@example.com
Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ) is pleased to announce that the new edition of the Food Industry Recall Protocol, 7th Edition, May 2014 is now available. It has been officially released today by Assistant Minister for Health, Fiona Nash.
The Food Industry Protocol has been updated by FSANZ with the assistance of the Australian state and territory food enforcement agencies and the food industry.
This Protocol provides information on recalling food in Australia specifically the:
- roles and responsibilities of food businesses and government during a food recall
- key steps in the food recall process
- legal requirements for food businesses in relation to food recalls
- important elements of a food recall plan.
The new Protocol is available on the FSANZ website (pdf 1908kb) | (word 3307kb), and hard copies are available from FSANZ on request.
Key updates in the new edition include:
- revised recall templates
- updated information on communicating recalls to the public
- removal of the reference to the term ‘voluntary recall’ – this term caused confusion with consumers and some businesses who interpreted a ‘voluntary recall’ as meaning it was voluntary for them to take action
- a new section on the importance of traceability and food business’s obligations under the Food Standards Code
Written by Rachelle Williams – the Green Food Safety Coach